We've owned Flamingo for some months now, and we had hoped to get quite a lot of work done by now. As is fairly obvious from our posts this year, we've had a number of other things to think about. This post is about the general progress we've made over the last few months and specifically the progress that I have been making slowly with trying to clean up and make the back cabin more appealing, without losing the historic material dating from the early 1960s.
The first month or so on Flamingo was assessment, a lot of cleaning, trying to find places to put things and our furniture, and I managed to get some primer/undercoat on the inside of the side door, and the back doors to the main cabin.
We had a sofa bed at home that really needed a new home, and we realised that it would fit well into Flamingo. However, when it is folded down the backrest becomes part of the bed, and it's quite uncomfortable, so we ordered up a new cushion in December, which I covered at home.
|The cat flap is now removed and the header tank has moved elsewhere.|
February and a large part of March was making sure that Chalice was clean and tidy to be sold, and then making the journey of several days from her mooring to the broker. We took her to Dominic Miles at Rugby Boats, only about half a mile from where we moor Flamingo. We quickly got a reasonable offer, and, as the survey went through with no problems we had sold her less than two weeks after accepting the offer. This was a weight off our minds, as managing three boats really was far too much to deal with.
Since then we have tried to do as much as possible, while fitting around other engagements, Alan's various hospital appointments and even the occasional attendance at a festival.
|Some time was needed to understand this, and a lot more!|
|Attempts to clean engine bilge produced all these "free" tools and more!|
|Expensive but just not appropriate to the history.|
|Allegedly just the flue had cost a four figure sum to install.|
|Back cabin before any repainting was started.|
|Two cupboards, new scumble on left, old scumble on right|
|1960s scumble on table cupboard|
|Between the side bed and the cross bed. Old scumble in middle,|
poor quality newer scumble on right and left
|The ceiling will need to be stripped and repainted in a light colour|
I can understand Alan's concerns, however, I got him to agree that I would rub down some of the new scumble and paint it cream. If we didn't like it I agreed that I would find out how to scumble.
|The side bed sanded down, carefully avoiding damaging the|
old scumble at the front and to the left
|The painting as it begins to emerge|
|The shadow of a 'castle landscape'|
|Faint traces of the colour of the hill and the red frame|
|Overpainting the 1990s scumble.|
1960s artwork and cupboard fronts on the left.